30/11/2018 | 08:43 AM
The Department of Health is a Department of State. In 2017- 2018 we operated
under the Public Service Act 1999 and the Public Governance, Performance and
Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act).
Better health and wellbeing for all Australians, now and for future generations.
To support government and stakeholders to lead and shape Australia’s health and aged care system and sporting outcomes throughevidence-based policy, well targeted programs and best practice regulation.
Better health and ageing outcomes and reduced inequality through:
• an integrated approach that balances prevention, primary, secondary and tertiary care;
• promoting greater engagement of individuals in their health and healthcare; and
• enabling access for people with cultural and diverse backgrounds including Aboriginaland Torres Strait Islander peoples, people in rural and remote areas and people experiencing socio-economic disadvantage.
Affordable, accessible, efficient, and high quality health and aged care
• partnering and collaborating with others to deliver health and aged care programs;
• better, more cost-effective care through research, innovation and technology;
• regulation that protects the health and safety of the community, while minimising unnecessary compliance burdens.
Better sport outcomes through:
• boosting participation opportunities for all Australians;
• optimising international performance; and
• safeguarding integrity in sport.
Outcomes are the Government’s intended results, benefits or consequences for the Australian community. The Government requires entities, such as the Department, to use outcomes as a basis for budgeting, measuring performance and reporting. Annual Administered funding is appropriated on an outcome basis.
Listed below are the outcomes relevant to the Department and the programs managed under each outcome in 2017-18.
Outcome 1: Health System Policy, Design and Innovation
1.1: Health Policy Research and Analysis
1.2: Health Innovation and Technology
1.3: Health Infrastructure
1.4: Health Peak and Advisory Bodies
1.5: International Policy
Outcome 2: Health Access and Support Services
2.1: Mental Health
2.2: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
2.3: Health Workforce
2.4: Preventive Health and Chronic Disease Support
2.5: Primary Health Care Quality and Coordination
2.6: Primary Care Practice Incentives
2.7: Hospital Services
Sport and Recreation
3.1: Sport and Recreation
Outcome 4: Individual Health Benefits
4.1: Medical Benefits
4.2: Hearing Services
4.3: Pharmaceutical Benefits
4.4: Private Health Insurance
4.5: Medical Indemnity
4.6: Dental Services
4.7: Health Benefit Compliance
4.8: Targeted Assistance – Aids and Appliances
Outcome 5: Regulation, Safety and Protection
5.1: Protect the Health and Safety of the Community
5.2: Health Protection and Emergency Response
Outcome 6: Ageing and Aged Care
6.1: Access and Information
6.2: Home Support and Care
6.3: Residential and Flexible Care
6.4: Aged Care Quality